The 3D printing industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the globe. The fact that the applications of 3D printing keep increasing as time passes have helped with the growth of the industry. From medical applications like in dental care and surgery and architectural applications, 3D printing has created a new era in a variety of sectors. Perhaps the most critical aspects of 3D printing are the 3D printers and the materials used in the printing process. There are different types of materials used in 3D printing. These materials are manufactured by 3D product manufacturers like Crealtity 3D, which is one of the leading 3D printer manufacturers in the globe.
Types of 3D printing Materials
- Plastic- this is the most common 3D printing material in the market. It is also the easiest one to use hence the most popular. There are two types of plastic used in 3D printing. They include; ABS, which is a strong form of plastic that is available in a variety of colors and PLA, which is a biodegradable kind of plastic also available in a wide range of colors. ABS is the most popular of the two forms of plastic and PLA is mostly used in resin for Digital Light Processing as well as Stereolithography. Plastic is suitable for developing mechanical parts, toys, and scale models, among other items. It is also an economical product. Different types of plastic used in 3D printing include nylon and Tglase.
- Ceramic– this is an excellent material for making tableware the likes of cups, bowls, and coasters as well as tiles, vases, and different kinds of art. This material is, however, not popular because it requires an extremely high amount of temperature to melt.
- Wood filaments– this product contains fine particles of wood that are combined with PLA and a polymer, which binds the two materials together. Objects manufactured from this material highly resemble wood when polished. Different types of wood can be used to make wood filaments for 3D printing.
- Metal– Like plastic, metal is also a common material used in 3D printing. It is also available in a variety of forms like stainless steel, gold, silver, and titanium. Titanium is the most durable type of metal used in the industry. On the other hand, gold and silver are suitable in the manufacture of jewelry in masses. However, they are not as strong as the different kinds of metal. Metal is also ideal for 3D printing because it is available in powder form hence does not require a lot of heat to melt like its counterparts.
- Paper– Papers are also common materials in this industry. The fact that paper is easy to acquire comes in a variety of colors and is cost-efficient makes it a suitable material.
As time passes, the 3D printing industry continues to grow. The growth of the sector means that more materials will be used in 3D printing. The compatibility of any materials to a 3D printers is supported by the advancements in the type of technology used while manufacturing the printers used.